- Our Story
No Results FoundMore Products
No Results FoundMore Recipes
No Results FoundMore Articles
Choose Your Country
Europe & Middle East
Latin America & Caribbean
We’ve committed to sustainably farming all of our cranberries, making Ocean Spray Cranberries the first fruit cooperative in North America to verify 100% of its crop as sustainably grown.
We are benchmarking our crop to the Farm Sustainability Assessment (FSA), a comprehensive tool for sustainable farming that was developed by the Sustainable Agriculture Initiative Platform (SAI Platform). SAI Platform defines sustainable agriculture as:
- Efficient production of safe, high quality agricultural products
- Protecting and improving the natural environment
- Protecting and improving the social and economic conditions of farmers, their employees and local communities
- Safeguarding the health and welfare of all farmed species
The cranberry is a perennial crop, meaning that a single vine can produce cranberries for decades and multiple farming generations. Through constant and careful year-round farm management, Ocean Spray farmer owners help their vines adapt to environmental changes. This work ensures that our consumers can always count on sustainably produced products that that are good for people and good for the planet.
Did you know? 25% of our farmers are fourth generation or greater; some farms go back seven generations!
Cranberries naturally grow in wetland habitats like bogs and marshes, where water is arguably the single most important natural resource. Ocean Spray farmers take extra care when it comes to conserving water on their cranberry beds, farms, and surrounding wetlands.
Our farmers use many sustainable water management practices to help conserve water and promote good water quality. For example :
- Ocean Spray farmers coordinate with their neighbors to move water from farm to farm before it is returned to natural water systems. This means water is conserved by sharing it between farms and reducing the amount of water drawn from natural water systems.
- Ocean Spray farmers recover water from their cranberry beds to reuse in other parts of their farms.
- Ocean Spray farmers use soil moisture probes and efficient irrigation systems to ensure they do not use more water than their cranberries need.
- Ocean Spray farmers rely only on on-farm water reservoirs, some of which are replenished principally by rain water.
Healthy soils lead to wholesome hearty plants. Ocean Spray farmers promote healthy soils through comprehensive soil management plans, monitoring techniques, and thoughtful fertilizer management plans. The extra care our farmers take to promote healthy soils benefits both the soils where their cranberries grow and the soils of the ecosystems which surround and support their farms.
Did you know? 81% of Ocean Spray farmers vegetate exposed slopes to prevent soil erosion and promote soil health.
Ocean Spray farmers work with more than cranberries in mind; they also help protect the environment! Our farmers value the lands and wetlands that surround and support their cranberry bogs and marshes, and they promote biodiversity on these lands by maintaining habitat for native plant and animal species. In some cases, Ocean Spray farmers are actively restoring habitats for native plant and wildlife, including species like bees, frogs, turtles and cranes.
Did you know? For every 1 acre of growing cranberries, Ocean Spray farmers manage an average of 5.4 acres of supporting lands and wetlands.
As a farmer owned cooperative, 100% of Ocean Spray’s profits go directly back to our farmer owners. We also strive to provide a safe and respectful place to work for all Ocean Spray employees. Many Ocean Spray employees and our farmer also work to make their communities better by participating in community outreach and volunteer projects.
Fun Fact! Did you know? When well cared for, cranberry vines can produce fruit for over 100 years. This means the Craisins® dried cranberries you’re eating today could have come from the same bogs that provided your grandparents with their holiday cranberry sauce.